It's been six weeks of fun with Aidan's Virtual Summer. Camp leaders, Phillip Katinas and Nicole Barba, share some highlights this year's reimagined program!
At Aidan a Primary class is a joyful, peaceful community of children from 2 and 1/2 to 6 years.
Beginning in September 2020, Aidan will move to a full-day program for all Primary children. The day will begin at 8:30 AM and will end at 3:00 PM. Aidan has four Primary communities. The classroom environment is carefully designed to meet the needs of students this age, who are described by Dr. Montessori as possessing “absorbent minds.” The teacher acts as a nurturing guide and facilitator. Children are given sequenced lessons designed to increase their skill and independence. Once they have been introduced to the activities and materials, children enjoy choosing their own work.
The Primary program focuses on these areas:
- Practical Life—activities such as polishing, buttoning and pouring strengthen motor skills and concentration.
- Sensorial—hands-on materials such as the Pink Tower, Color Boxes and the Sound Cylinders help children refine their senses and classify their world.
- Mathematics—concrete materials such as the Number Rods and Golden Beads teach about size and length and prepare chilren for more abstract concepts such as decimals.
- Language—materials such as the Sandpaper Letters and the Moveable Alphabet lay the foundation for reading and writing. There is an emphasis on communication and children explore all aspects of spoken and written language.
- Cultural Studies—maps, flags, water and land forms and book bring to life the world’s geography and peoples.
- Art, Music and Movement—drawing, painting, singing and dance are incorporated into daily classroom activities.
- Grace and Courtesy—respect and empathy are practiced daily in the Primary community.
Primary children are engaged in a wide variety of work throughout the day. They may practice skills to care for themselves or the classroom or work on writing words or stories. Some children may work together to solve a large equation with manipulative math materials. Others may care for plants by watering or washing the leaves. The Montessori materials, joyfully presented and freely chosen, create a strong foundation for reading, writing, creativity, critical thinking and participation in an active, diverse community. By the time children have completed their time in Primary they have become poised, proud, and compassionate leaders for the younger children. They have learned to think for themselves, approach learning with joy, and self-regulate their emotions for social harmony.
Aidan Montessori School is thrilled to welcome our new Lead Montessori Teacher for the Dogwood Primary Class, Ms. Ekaterina (Katia) Kozhakova.
We're excited to announce the details of Aidan's Virtual Summer Program. Read to learn more!
Primary Program Hours
3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Meet Our Primary Faculty